Wednesday, June 23, 2010

It's 9:00 on a Wednesday evening...

...and I'm tired.  I stayed up late last night to finish some grading and then woke up to a morning thunderstorm so powerful it had car alarms going off.  We rarely get storms in Qufu, so I was delighted.

Today I gave back some exams and turned in my grades, thus ending my teaching duties for the year.  I've been saying some small goodbyes here and there, but no big parties or celebrations.

Tonight the school had a banquet for the foreign teachers.  There were many dishes, as usual.  The Japanese teacher got drunk and made several loud and entertaining toasts, as usual.  I sat there trying to think of things to say to the people next to me and feeling sort of awkward, as usual.

Sometime in the next day and a half, I need to pack for America and clean my apartment.  Maybe I'm just tired, but the word that best describes my feelings about finishing the teaching year and heading home is "anticlimactic."

I'll let you know if I feel any differently after a good night's sleep.

2 comments:

  1. I hope a good night's sleep helped...is this another example that because you haven't done this before you didn't know what to expect...but what you do know is it's not what you'd like it to be.... What we do know is we are anxiously waiting for you to come home!!
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I would compare it to graduation, or an important birthday. The big day comes and goes, and you feel about the same (or at least I do).

    ReplyDelete