Saturday, June 12, 2010

The Great Wall of China: Great, as Always

This will be my final post on my family's visit to China.

After Qufu, we popped up to Beijing for the weekend, where we saw Tian'anmen Square, the Forbidden City, a Peking Duck, Houhai, the Olympic Village annnnddddd....

...the Great Wall of China.  It was my fourth visit to the wall, and I am now convinced that it is almost impossible to have a bad time at the Great Wall.  Somehow the combination of scenery, history, and apparent endlessness makes it magical every time.

We went to Jinshanling, a site about 3 hours outside Beijing, and hiked the 10 km stretch to Simatai.  We didn't see any Mongols, but I'm pretty sure they were lurking in the woods somewhere, just waiting invade China as soon as we vacated the wall.

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely beautiful! I wish we could've climbed this part of the Wall when we went; look at that blue sky!! Amazing, amazing.

    ReplyDelete