Saturday, June 12, 2010

China: Where Saturday is Monday

Chinese universities love:

1)  Waiting until the last minute to decide when and how long their holidays will be, and
2)  Making up vacation days on the weekend.

Therefore, today (Saturday) is Monday, tomorrow is Tuesday, and the following three days are our Dragon Boat holiday.  The first time such scheduling shenanigans happened, I was all, "Whaaaaa?"  Now I've been through it a few times so I can be more, "This is how we do."

I'm sure you'll all have wonderful, relaxing weekends while I'm busy working and giving finals.  But when Monday rolls around and feels like a Saturday, I'll be the one laughing.

2 comments:

  1. I think the holiday and make-up days are actually set on a national level each year, so it may have just been your province/FAO that waited until the last minute to tell you guys =X Have a Happy Dragon Boat Festival this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, that's a good point about the holidays. But I'm still always confused when our vice deans and FAO don't seem to know any more than we do until the last minute, so the process remains mysterious.

    Happy Dragon Boat Festival to you, too!

    ReplyDelete