Saturday, September 12, 2009

The Promised Land

Today my teammate Tarah and I hopped on a bus to Jinan, the capital of our province.  We wanted to buy some goods that are not available in Qufu.  Here are some of the items I bought:
  • Floss
  • Cheese
  • Butter
  • Chocolate Chips
  • Paprika
  • Plastic Spatula
  • USB cord
  • Clothespins
  • Curry Paste
  • Pudding
  • Bacon
  • Tortillas
Another treat:  I got to have lunch with a family that used to be my neighbors back in Iowa City!   Cissy was doing some work at the University of Iowa Hospital for a couple years, and we got to know them before they moved back to China.  Here are some memories of Cissy and her daughter, Cynthia, at my apartment back in Iowa:

Christmastime


Prom

It was the first time since leaving the U.S. that I've seen someone I've known longer than two months.  Thank God for old friends, and for Jinan -- a land flowing with butter and chocolate chips.

5 comments:

  1. Glad you got to see some familiar faces! I'm trying to figure out if my familiar face is able to travel to China for a full 2 weeks this winter...but if it's going to be a longer trip I'd almost rather wait to go til next year... I'll work on figuring that out ASAP :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is up to you! We should chat about it sometime so I can fill you in on your options. But whether you come this year or next, I can see your familiar face whenever I want -- I just look in the mirror.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Touche. But do you really beat your own face up in the same way that you do mine? (The hair stroking, face smacking, head batting kind of way?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice grocery list--now I am hungry for cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you got to see Cissy! If you see her again - tell her hi from me!

    Yay for cheese, butter, and chocolate chips!

    ReplyDelete