Monday, May 2, 2011

Fun Free Talk: Dress-Up Dinner

Most of the foreign English teachers at my school offer periodic "free talks" where students can come to our apartments and practice their English.  Last year, I kept them pretty unstructured and ended up with lots of afternoons sitting around in a circle and me answering the same questions over and over: "Do you like Chinese food?"  "Can you use chopsticks?"  "How long will you stay in China?"

This year, tired of the same old free talks, I have offered "Fun Free Talks" instead.  These are activities that the students sign up for that usually have some fun culture activity along with a chance to speak English.

A couple weeks ago, I had a free talk for juniors called "Dress-up Dinner."  The girls were supposed to come in nice clothes, and then I provided cosmetics and hair supplies for them to get all gussied up.  When I first showed them all the stuff, they had no clue what to do with it.  Several of the girls had never worn make-up!  I am no expert (didn't even own mascara until I was 23 years old), but I got them started and they took it from there:


Meanwhile, the other half of the group helped me prepare meatballs, mashed potatoes, and apple pie for our fancy dinner:


Then we turned on some classical music, lit a bunch of candles, and we were ready:




A fun free talk indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment