- Sitting? No.
- Squatting? Yes.
- Closing the door? Sometimes. (In some public restrooms there are no stalls, just dividers. Even if there are stalls, not everyone closes them.)
- Bringing your own TP? Yes.
- Flushing your own TP? No. Toss it in the overflowing wastebasket.
- Bringing your own soap? Yes.
- Watching where you step? Yes.
- Enjoying sparkling clean surfaces and fragrant aromas? No.
Let me introduce you to the restroom just down the hall from my office in the English department:
Here we have our standard squatty and waste basket accompaniment. Be glad I didn't take a shot of the clogged one in the next stall. Ew.
And finally, the sink. Don't be fooled by the soap dish -- the foreign teachers put that there. You can also see the tub for the mop. There's always someone mopping, but I'm not sure it accomplishes much.
Actually, "mopping" could be a post all on its own. China is big on mopping. And that concludes the first edition of Is this normal? (Yes). Stay tuned for more culture tidbits.