Monday, December 20, 2010

Book Club Finale


My Book Club members have been plugging their way through Anne of Green Gables all semester, three chapters at a time. Last Monday night was our final discussion because -- hooray! -- we had finished the book. For some of the students, it was the first all-English book they've read cover-to-cover.

The whole group with their certificates of completion

Our reward was to watch the movie tonight. We ate oranges, bananas, pomello, and chocolate cookies while enjoying the antics of the delightful Anne Shirley. The girls thought Gilbert was not sufficiently handsome, but they were otherwise pretty satisfied with the movie. (I, for one, do not see how you could improve on Gilbert Blythe.)

Enthralled

After we finished the movie, I gave them my camera to take some pictures and all manner of chaos broke loose. (A ceramic snowman sitting on my bookshelf lost his life in the scuffle.)

They soon decided that I should take a picture with each girl, and we did our best to come up with a new creative pose each time.











Book Club was a delightful experience for me. The girls were sweet and full of laughter every time they came over, and they genuinely loved the book. Our discussions ranged from understanding confusing English passages to predicting Anne's future romances to talking about church to silly girl talk. Tonight was a happy end to one of my favorite student activities of the semester.


4 comments:

  1. I love this post! It makes me want to drop everything and sit down with the book and enjoy reading about Anne Shirley all over again! I share the girls' enthusiasm about the book, but I do not share their critique about Gilbert Blythe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That DVD better be coming to Albuquerque!! We could make fruit salsa (minus the baked cinnamon chips) and watch it just like old times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wholeheartedly agree with you Al- Gilbert Blythe needs no improvement.

    I'm soooooooory your girls didn't appreciate his perfection. :)

    ReplyDelete