Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Raindrops Keep Fallin' on my Head: Two Days in Chongqing


To start off my week-long October Holiday, I visited Chongqing. It is a large city on the Yangtze River and also the hometown of my good friend Pang Juan, who is studying at the University of Iowa. Although she is not in Chongqing at the moment, my fellow teacher friends Gloria and Amy are. So I decided to stop in for a visit.

On the first day, we took the cable car over the river to the city.

Chongqing's clock tower

A creative (and wet) way to advertise your new restaurant: Marching red drum ladies

Apparently the buildings on the left have more traditional Chongqing architecture. It's a mountainous area so they know how to build into hills.

Alley

Chinglish

The next day was October 1, National Day, so we spent a quiet, rainy day on campus.

Eating chicken and noodles with the Chongqing team.

The campus is on a mountain. Here, I'm testing out the "stairs of doom."

Gloria!

Chongqing by night, as seen from Gloria's mountain.

Highlights: Hanging out with the Chongqing team and eating spicy southern food. Oh, the street food was also good. The city itself reminded me a little bit of Wuhan, which was the first city I ever visited in China. Anyway, I'm happy to be able to check Chongqing off my list of "Places to See in China." Maybe one day I can go back and try out the Yangtze River cruise.

5 comments:

  1. Great to see your photos----glad you can post photos again! I think I'll pass on the Strange Taste Horsebeans!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not even going to go near that first sign, but what are Strange Taste Horsebeans RREEAALLYY???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Three things...

    1. The traditional Chongqing architecture looks really neat!
    2. That is probably the most nonsensical Chingish I have ever seen...I have no clue want it's trying to say. Where was the sign?
    3. Very nice cardigan in the "Stairs of Doom" picture...I do believe I recognize it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily -- The sign was just by a street in Chongqing. Nowhere special, as far as I remember. And yes, that it my new Target sweater.

    ReplyDelete