Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Guess that Text

Today I woke up with a terrible headache, which only grew worse as I was teaching my first of two classes this morning.  It got to the point that my stomach was upset and I feared that I might throw up right then and there.  So I dismissed my first class early, canceled my second class, and went home to sleep it off.

I am happy to report that I am feeling much better.  So well, in fact, that I'd like to initiate a little game of "Guess that Text."  The game is quite simple.  Below are three text messages I received today.  One is from a teammate, one is from a student whose class I re-scheduled, and one is from a student who wasn't in any of my classes today (so you see how word gets around).  Your task: Figure out who wrote each message - it's not too hard.

1) "hi,Alison,we heard that you are ill !how are you feeling now?  You'd better drink more warm water and have a good rest.Hope you will be better soon!"

2)  "Hey!  I'm sorry that you're feeling bad.  Is there anything I can do for you? I have some Ritz crackers if you'd like them."

3)  "hi Alison .Are you feel better now ?"

Side note:  As I was walking back home, feeling miserable, I ran into two separate students who both advised me that I should drink more hot water.  This is one-size-fits-all health advice in China, but I follow it every time.  Drinking hot water really does make me feel better; in fact, I'm sipping a steaming mug of it right now.  Weird, huh?

3 comments:

  1. I'm ready for a quiz---
    (1) text is from a student who isn't in any of your classes
    (2) text is from your teammate
    (3) test is from your student.

    Glad you're feeling better!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your mom. Nice job, Joan!

    I can see you curled up with your hot mug of water as this was a method of healing you employed before going to China.

    Feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, you're right!

    I am feeling better. I think it was just a bad headache.

    And Rachael, you're right. My first visit to China in the winter of 2005 convinced me of the beauty of drinking hot water when you're cold, or when you have a cold. It makes so much sense! I've liked it ever since.

    ReplyDelete