Monday, May 21, 2012

Double Happiness

Happy Thing #1:  On a whim I decided to invite a class over for a free talk plus food.  It was 4:30.  I had to work in our English library until 5:30.  In the two hours after I rushed out of the library, I unsuccessfully begged for tortillas at two chicken sandwich restaurants, got some groceries including something reasonably tortilla-ish, and prepared tacos for twenty. 

Actually the students helped a lot with the taco prep.

And I didn't feed them any cheese.

But still -- so happy it all got done and we had a fun time eating Western food in my packed apartment.

My assembly line, ready for students to arrive

They're here!

5 pounds of taco meat, lettuce, pico de gallo, ranch dressing and giant thin wrappers

I don't have enough plates so I made them eat with paper towels.  Not easy for your first taco experience.




Happy Thing #2:  Four girls insisted on staying behind and doing all my dishes -- even the dishes from yesterday... and the day before!  Haha.

This is the sort of evening that makes me love my students, love my life, love my teammates (who gave me two packages of taco seasoning), and love my clean counter.

Epilogue:  One of the girls who stayed to do dishes was a girl who had some cool questions she wanted to ask me.   She has been interested in the Word for awhile but I didn't really know it until recently, so Taco Night plus Dish-washing Extravaganza gave us a chance to talk more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment