Tuesday, December 20, 2011

林爱丽

Let me introduce you to a girl named 林爱丽.  She is 27 going on 28, lives in China, and loves cookies.  She is me!

I don't think I've blogged about my Chinese name before, but I've had it for over two years and use it from time to time when I meet people who don't speak English.  I also use it for my renren (facebook knock-off) account because you need a Chinese name to join.


It is pronounced lin ai li (leen eye lee).  林 is my family name.  I chose it because it sounds like my real family name ("Lentz.")  爱 means love and 丽 means beauty.  I chose this given name because it sounds like my real given name ("Alison") and because it has a nice meaning: loves beauty.

At first I didn't love my name, but it grew on me.  It's easy to write, except for 爱, and it ends with two fourth tone syllables, which is kind of fun to say.

Here's my team Christmas card, in which we all did our darndest to write our Chinese names.

No comments:

Post a Comment