Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Something New, Something Old

Chinese word of the day: Jiaozi 饺子. Jiaozi means "dumpling," and I just ate some delicious jiaozi in a little hole in the wall by out hotel. Mmm. Anyway, just wanted to share a few more pictures with you. Beijing is going well, and I am enjoying this time of rest and learning after the whirlwind of saying goodbyes, leaving my job, and moving out of my apartment. Enjoy the photos!


Something new ~

Two fellow trainees singing their hearts out at KTV (karaoke) It's hugely popular here. You get your own room instead of singing in front of a bunch of strangers.


The RuYi Business Hotel, where we are staying in Beijing's Haidian district. All of our classes are here.


A dizzying array of merchandise at the Silk Market.


I'm going to call this area Beijing's Times Square. Recognize any familiar brands?


The street outside our hotel almost flooded after a short rain. Too much concrete here -- the water has nowhere to go.


Something old ~

My roommate Jenn and I at the Forbidden City in the center of Beijing, where China's emperors lived from the early 1400's to the early 1900's.


More of the Forbidden City. All of China's 1.3 billion citizens decided to visit the same day we did. This picture can't begin to capture how crowded and hot it was!



No comments:

Post a Comment