Saturday, October 24, 2009

Escape from Slavery

We have recently been discussing slavery in the video class that I teach. The students watched "The Prince of Egypt," an animated film about Moses's life and the Hebrew exodus from slavery. We used this story to learn more about slavery in the American South, particularly abolitionist Harriet Tubman, called the Moses of her people. I loved Harriet Tubman when I was in elementary school. Every time Black History Month rolled around and we were assigned to learn about a black hero, you can bet that I was reading tales of Harriet Tubman and her courageous journeys leading slaves north to freedom on the Underground Railroad.

Who doesn't love a good freedom story? Whether it's a handful of African Americans crossing the Mason Dixon line, the whole nation of Israel trekking through the sea on dry land, or a single person set free from sin by the grace of God, deliverance from bondage is a beautiful thing.

According to information from the International Justice Mission (www.ijm.org), there are currently 27 million men, women, and children in slavery worldwide. This brings me to my point: I read that November 14-15 has been designated as a "weekend to end slavery." They are asking Americans to get involved by screening a short video about modern-day slavery, holding home gatherings to promote awareness, and raising the issue with our elected officials. I will not be participating here in China, but I thought some of you Stateside friends might be interested.

Here's the link: http://www.attheendofslavery.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment